|Fruit color||striped, yellow|
|Fruit shape||elongated, plum|
|Fruit type||paste, canner|
- Large determinate plants with wispy regular foliage, high yield of 2-3" long golden yellow sausage-shaped fruits with a tip at the blossom end and faint striping that disappears when fully ripe. Mid- to late season. The plants may be thought of as indeterminate, since they are quite vigorous, but at the end of the season the branches end with flower trusses, which means they are actually determinate. Very meaty flesh with very few seeds. The flavor starts out mild at the beginning of the season, but gets very rich later in the season, sweet with a hint of citrus. We were quite impressed with the taste.
Year grown: 2011
- Yellow elongated tomatoes, which look like a small banana, regular leaf.
Year grown: 2004
Location: Quitzdorf am See, Germany
- A more recent open pollinated introduction but one of the most interesting. The determinate plants have beautiful lacy foliage and loads of elongated yellow fruit, hence the name. Banana Legs has a very mild flavor but is nice for adding color and interest to salads or even making a mild yellow sauce. Determinate, regular leaf foliage. (70 days from transplant).
Location: Carman, Manitoba, Canada
- Bred by Tom Wagner, a private US plant breeder from Washington, USA. Tom Wagner did not disclose the parentage of this tomato.
- First offered commercially by CV Tater Mater in 1984 as a bunch of unnamed crosses called "Mixed Long Toms".
- One of the SSE members, Mark Reusser of Ailsa Craig, Ontario, Canada (ONT RE M), grew out Tom Wagner's Long Toms mixture and selected this tomato, which he named Banana Legs and first offered in the SSE 1988 Yearbook. This is the description that Mark Reusser supplied in his SSE listing:
- "100 days - indet., banana-shaped yellow-fleshed fruit, 7-10 cm. long x 3-4 cm. dia. with orange-yellow longitudinal stripes on light-yellow background med-sized plant with very fine thin leaves, prolific, up to 100 excellently-flavored firm-fleshed fruit per plant, seed is all from one seed selected from a batch of unnamed crosses called "Mixed Long Toms" from Tater Mater in 1984."
Tatiana Kouchnareva (B.C KO T). Banana Legs - ripe fruit. 2011-08-28.
Klaus-Peter Schurz (GERM SC K). Banana Legs - ripe fruit.
Tatiana Kouchnareva (B.C KO T). Banana Legs - ripe fruit. 2011-09-04.
Tatiana Kouchnareva (B.C KO T). Banana Legs - ripe fruit. 2011-09-14.
Tatiana Kouchnareva (B.C KO T). Banana Legs - ripe fruit. 2011-09-24.
Tatiana Kouchnareva (B.C KO T). Banana Legs - ripe fruit. 2011-10-01.
Taryn Koerker, WA (WA KO T): Banana Legs - sliced fruit. 2011. (Posted with owner's permission.)
Tatiana Kouchnareva (B.C KO T). Banana Legs - plant. 2011-06-23.
Klaus-Peter Schurz (GERM SC K). Banana Legs - green fruit. 2013-08-03.
You can buy Banana Legs seeds at Tatiana's TOMATObase Seed Shop.
By buying our seeds you help us to maintain and improve Tatiana's TOMATObase website, and to preserve many endangered open-pollinated varieties.
The proceeds from seed sales and donations are our only source of funding at this time.
Thank you so much for your support!