Black Sea Man
|Black Sea Man|
|Fruit color||black, purple|
- Det., potato leaf plants. Medium size purple/black beefsteaks with delicious flavor. 4-7 oz. (15 seeds / packet)
- Reimer Seeds / Peter Gallant, Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada 07
Year grown: 2014
- 85 days, det., regular leaf plant, 4-8 oz, brownish pink fruit, fair taste and yield.
- Reimer Seeds / Seed Savers Heritage Farm, Decorah, Iowa (IA SSE HF) 96
Location: Oblong, Illinois
- A Russian heirloom with mahogany brown colored fruit and olive green shoulders. The fruit average 8-10 oz and have a nice rich flavor. Determinate, potato leaf foliage. (70 days from transplant).
Location: Carman, Manitoba, Canada
- 75 days, large det., potato leaf plant, high yield of 4-10 oz brownish pink beefsteaks, fair flavor.
Year grown: 2007
Location: Bastrop, Texas
- black beefsteak tomato, indet., 150 g (5 oz).
- Reimer Seeds / G. Bohl
Year grown: 2007
- 65 days, determinate, potato leaf. Huge production for me this year, 3.5-4lb per plant. Fruit 10-14oz each. Some splitting when fruit wasn't evenly watered enough due to the water restrictions in my area. Brownish/blackish fruit with green shoulders. Absolutely fantastic flavour, one of my favourite blacks of all time.
- Reimer Seeds / Julianna Griffin, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Year grown: 2007, 2009
Location: Nelson, BC, Canada
- Russian origin. It is likely the same variety as Chernomor, as "Chernomor" can be translated to "Black Sea Man" from Russian.
- SSE members list it as both regular leaf and potato leaf. The true Black Sea Man should be potato leaf. Fruit size also varies from grower to grower.
- SSE TOMATO 19.
Klaus-Peter Schurz (GERM SC K). Black Sea Man - flower.
Tatiana Kouchnareva (B.C KO T). Black Sea Man - ripe fruit. 2014-08-18.
Kelly Gilliam - Black Sea Man, 2009.
Tatiana Kouchnareva (B.C KO T). Black Sea Man - sliced fruit. 2014-08-18.
Susan Anderson (TX AN S): Black Sea Man - sliced, 2007.
John Beidler (CT BE J). Black Sea Man. 2009.
You can buy Black Sea Man seeds at Tatiana's TOMATObase Seed Shop.
By buying our seeds you help us to maintain and improve Tatiana's TOMATObase website, and to preserve many endangered open-pollinated varieties.
The proceeds from seed sales and donations are our only source of funding at this time.
Thank you so much for your support!
|Description||Det., potato leaf plants. Medium size purple/black beefsteaks with delicious flavor. 4-7 oz. (15 seeds / packet)|
|Fruit color||black + and purple +|
|Fruit shape||beefsteak +|
|Fruit size||medium +|
|Fruit type||slicer +|
|Growth habit||det. +|
|History||* Russian origin. It is likely the same va … * Russian origin. It is likely the same variety as Chernomor, as "Chernomor" can be translated to "Black Sea Man" from Russian.
|Member code||B.C KO T +, IL LO N +, MAN ST T +, TX AN S +, GERM SC K + and B.C GI K +|
|See also||Chernomor +|
|Seed source||Reimer Seeds / Peter Gallant, Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada 07|
|Variety type||open-pollinated +|
|Vendor||Tatiana's TOMATObase Seeds +, TomatoFest +, Sand Hill Preservation Center +, Heritage Harvest Seed +, Reimer Seeds +, Heirloom Seeds +, Solana Seeds +, Delectation of Tomatoes +, Knapp's Fresh Vegies + and Double Helix Farms +|
|Year grown||2014 +|