Box Car Willie
|Box Car Willie|
- Indet., regular leaf plants. Medium sized red fruits are round and oblate, 6-10 oz. Very good rich old-fashioned flavor.
- 1. Reimer Seeds
- 2. Rob Gee, Ohio 08
- 3. Jennifer Hutson, Kitchener, Ontario, Canada 06
Year grown: 2014
- 80 days, indet., regular leaf plant with high yield of 6-12 oz red fruit with very good flavor.
- Reimer Seeds / Donald C. Kellums of Port Byron, Illinois (IL KE D) 99 / Tomato Growers Supply / Carolyn Male of Salem, New York (NY MA C) 94
Location: Oblong, Illinois
- Reimer Seeds / Manfred Hahm-Hartmann, Germany
Year grown: 2011
Location: Quitzdorf am See, Germany
- Bred by Joe Bratka's father. Joe found the seeds for this tomato and several others (Red Barn, Mule Team, and Great Divide) in a toolshed, could not get the seeds to germinate, and sent them to Carolyn Male, who succeeded in germinating the seed and shared this variety with other gardeners and SSE members in the mid-1990s.
- First offered in the Seed Savers 1994 Yearbook by Carolyn Male of Latham, New Jersey (NY MA C), who got the seeds from Joe Bratka of New Jersey.
- Could be named after Lecil Travis Martin, an American country music singer.
Klaus-Peter Schurz (GERM SC K). Box Car Willie - leaf. May 2011.
Klaus-Peter Schurz (GERM SC K). Box Car Willie - flower. June 5, 2011.
Tatiana Kouchnareva (B.C KO T). Box Car Willie (1) - ripe fruit. 2014-09-09.
Tatiana Kouchnareva (B.C KO T). Box Car Willie (1) - sliced fruit. 2014-09-09.