|Leaf type||regular, wispy|
|Fruit type||slicer, cooking, paste|
|Variety type||family heirloom|
- Indet., regular leaf, wispy foliage, beautifully shaped elongated pink hearts, medium size, 8-12 oz. Meaty flesh, very few seeds, very good flavor. (12 seeds / packet)
Year grown: 2012
- I originally obtained the seed for this variety from an older man in Hardin County, KY. He said his family had been growing them for many years and had always called them Calf's Heart. Two different ebayers in Kentucky have remembered this tomato from childhood and wanted to experience it again, but I cannot find out anything else about the history of this variety. This is a bull's heart type tomato, smaller than many of the oxheart varieties, which explains the name. This tomato tastes like it has already been stewed. You will either fall in love with this tomato or not like it at all. The size ranges from 8 oz to 1 lb, heart shaped, with pale pink/purplish skin and watermelon colored flesh. Hardly any seeds at all, which makes this a harder variety to save very many seeds from. You will not get a ton of tomatoes either, but what you get will be worth the garden space.
- from an older man in Hardin County, Kentucky
Location: Sonora, Kentucky
- A family heirloom from Kentucky.
- Seed originally obtained by Maria Stenger of Sonora, Kentucky, from an older man in Hardin County, Kentucky. He said his family had been growing them for many years and had always called them 'Calf's Heart'.
Tatiana Kouchnareva (B.C KO T). Calf's Heart - plant. 2012-05-25.
Tatiana Kouchnareva (B.C KO T). Calf's Heart - ripening fruit. 2012-08-22.
Tatiana Kouchnareva (B.C KO T). Calf's Heart - ripe fruit. 2012-10-22.
Tatiana Kouchnareva (B.C KO T). Calf's Heart - sliced fruit. 2012-10-22.
Maria Stenger, Sonora, KY. Calf's Heart - sliced fruit.
|Year||Commercial Vendors||Seed Savers Yearbook (Member listings)||Seeds of Diversity (Member listings)|
|2014||Tatiana's TOMATObase Seeds - sold out for 2014||.||.|
|2013||Tatiana's TOMATObase Seeds - new||.||.|
|2010||Blue Ribbon Tomatoes||1||.|
|2009||Blue Ribbon Tomatoes||0||.|