|Fruit shape||oblate, beefsteak|
- 80-85 days, indet., regular leaf, purple-black beefsteak fruits, 8-15 oz, good yield, very good flavor to excellent. Fruit color is similar to J.D. Special C-Tex.
- 1. Peter Gallant, Prince Edward, Canada 05
- 2. Tomato Growers Supply 11
- 3. Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds 12
Year grown: 2005, 2008 (crop failure), 2009(1), 2011(2)
- 85 days, indet., regular leaf plant, high yield of 8-12 oz, purple brown fruit, very good flavor.
- George Weiss, North Babylon, New York (NY WE G)
Location: Oblong, Illinois
- 85 days, indet., regular leaf, 8-16 oz purple-brown fruit, beautiful, excellent taste, productive.
Location: Pasadena, Texas
- Deep brown with stripes, that turn from green to black, inside green and red
- M. Hahm-Hartmann
Location: Quitzdorf am See, Germany
- Considered to be in the family of “black” tomatoes but it’s a deep purple beefsteak that is highly prized for it’s taste. One of tried and true varieties we grow every year for market and we have been selecting out for drought tolerance every year. Indeterminate.
Location: Southold, NY
- First listed in Seed Savers 1998 Yearbook by George Weiss of North Babylon, NY (NY WE G). Original seed source is not indicated.
Tatiana Kouchnareva (B.C KO T). Carbon - plant. 2009-06-06
Tatiana Kouchnareva (B.C KO T). Carbon - flower. 2009-06-13
Tatiana Kouchnareva (B.C KO T). Carbon - flowers. 2009-06-06
Klaus-Peter Schurz (GERM SC K). Carbon - baby fruit. July 2009.
Tatiana Kouchnareva (B.C KO T). Carbon - baby fruit. 2009-06-10
Tatiana Kouchnareva (B.C KO T). Carbon - green fruit. 2009-07-12.
Tatiana Kouchnareva (B.C KO T). Carbon - ripening fruit. 2009-07-25.
Tatiana Kouchnareva (B.C KO T). Carbon - ripe fruit. 2009-08-08
Tatiana Kouchnareva (B.C KO T). Carbon - ripe fruit. 2009-08-27
Tatiana Kouchnareva (B.C KO T). Carbon - sliced ripe fruit. 2009-07-30.
Tatiana Kouchnareva (B.C KO T). Carbon - sliced ripe fruit. 2009-08-27.
Susan Anderson (TX AN S). Carbon.
You can buy Carbon seeds at Tatiana's TOMATObase Seed Shop.
By buying our seeds you help us to maintain and improve Tatiana's TOMATObase website, and to preserve many endangered open-pollinated varieties.
The proceeds from seed sales and donations are our only source of funding at this time.
Thank you so much for your support!
|Fruit color||black +|
|Fruit shape||oblate + and beefsteak +|
|Fruit size||large +|
|Fruit type||slicer +|
|Growth habit||indet. +|
|Member||B.C KO T +, IL LO N +, TX GU R +, GERM SC K + and NY GA S +|
|See also||Noire Charbonneuse +|
|Variety type||open-pollinated +|
|Vendor||Tomato Growers Supply +, Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds +, Tatiana's TOMATObase Seeds +, TomatoFest +, Secret Seed Cartel +, Solana Seeds +, The Sample Seed Shop +, Trade Winds Fruit +, Delectation of Tomatoes +, Double Helix Farms +, Heritage Harvest Seed +, Knapp's Fresh Vegies +, Salt Spring Seeds +, Swallowtail Garden Seeds +, Casey's Heirloom Tomatoes of Airdrie + and Heirloom Tomatoes +|