Dice's Mystery Black
From Tatiana's TOMATOBase
|Dice's Mystery Black|
|Fruit shape||round, oblate|
|Fruit type||slicer, salad|
- Clayton Weaver, Washington 08
- 70-75 days, indet., regular leaf, mostly 3-6 oz. red-black-maroon fruits with excellent flavor, high production in heat and drought, a favorite, some similarities to Noir De Crimee, but better taste and production for me.
- Hilde Reineck / Dice in the PNW
Year grown: 2009
- Discovered by Clayton Weaver in Washington ('Dice' at Tomatoville forum) in his garden in 2007. The off-type plant came from a seed in a commercial packet of Galina's Yellow from Seeds Trust/High Altitude Gardens . Further growouts showed that it was stable, so it was likely a stray seed in the commercial seed packet.
- This is what Clayton said when he re-grew his discovery in 2008:
- "The flavor is a little milder this year, at least on the first two fruits, and the color is a little bit lighter, too, not quite as dark as last year. This year it looks more like Black Prince, although the fruit are larger.
- The plant looks identical to last year's plant, and fruit look the same on the inside, have the same juiciness, about the same amount of seeds, same creamy texture. I think it is simply the cold weather affecting flavor and color of the fruit."
Susan Anderson (TX AN S): Dice's Mystery Black - ripe and sliced fruits. 2009.
|Year||Commercial Vendors||Seed Savers Yearbook (Member listings)||Seeds of Diversity (Member listings)|
|2013||Delectation of Tomatoes - new||.||.|
Facts about Dice's Mystery Black
|Fruit color||black +|
|Fruit shape||round + and oblate +|
|Fruit size||medium +|
|Fruit type||slicer + and salad +|
|Growth habit||indet. +|
|History||* Discovered by Clayton Weaver in Washingt … * Discovered by Clayton Weaver in Washington ('Dice' at Tomatoville forum) in his garden in 2007. The off-type plant came from a seed in a commercial packet of Galina's Yellow from Seeds Trust/High Altitude Gardens . Further growouts showed that it was stable, so it was likely a stray seed in the commercial seed packet.
|Member code||B.C KO T + and TX AN S +|
|Seed source||Clayton Weaver, Washington 08|
|Variety type||open-pollinated +|
|Vendor||Seeds Trust/High Altitude Gardens + and Delectation of Tomatoes +|