Golden Ponderosa (Railroad Strain)
From Tatiana's TOMATOBase
|Golden Ponderosa (Railroad Strain)|
|Fruit shape||ribbed, beefsteak|
- 85 days, indet., regular leaf plant with a fair yield of 12-16 oz golden beefsteak fruit with a pink blush, very good flavor.
- WI MI B 03 / IA SSE HF 99
- Renamed Mortgage Lifter, Yellow.
- According to Amy Goldman's research, this is a West Virginia heirloom sent to Southern Exposure Seed Exchange founder Dr. Jeff McCormack, who introduced it commercially in 1984 as Mortgage Lifter, Yellow, but renamed it Golden Ponderosa (Railroad Strain) in 1986 as it appeared to be a variant of Golden Ponderosa rather than Mortgage Lifter.
- Dates to the 1940s; this tomato has been grown by employees of the C & O Railroad, hence the name.
- Mortgage Lifter, Yellow (renamed "Golden Ponderosa - Railroad Strain")
|Year||Commercial Vendors||Seed Savers Yearbook (Member listings)||Seeds of Diversity (Member listings)|