Isbell's Golden Colossal
|Isbell's Golden Colossal|
|Variety type||heirloom, historic, open-pollinated|
- Indet., regular leaf plants. Yellow beefsteaks with ruffled shoulders and meaty and juicy flesh. Some fruits get pinkish blush at the blossom end towards the end of summer. 7-13 oz. Very good flavor. (15 seeds/ packet)
- Jeff Fleming of Augusta, Michigan (MI FL J) 07 / Neil Lockhart of Oblong, Illinois (IL LO N) / Craig LeHoullier of Raleigh, North Carolina (NC LE C) 04
Year grown: 2014
- Large vines, need caging or staking. First maturity about 75 days. For me, a modest yield of medium-sized smooth 6-12 oz light golden yellow fruit with a pinkish blush on blossom end. The fruit have a wonderfully refreshing mildly sweet flavor. This is a little-known variety that deserves much wider recognition, in my opinion.
- Neil Lockhart of Oblong, Illinois (IL LO N) / Craig LeHoullier of Raleigh, North Carolina (NC LE C) 04
Year grown: 2006, 2007
Location: Augusta, Michigan
- 90 days, indet., regular leaf plant with a very high yield of 6-12 oz light yellow fruit with a pink blush and good mild flavor.
- Craig LeHoullier of Raleigh, North Carolina (NC LE C) 04
Location: Oblong, Illinois
- Very old commercial heirloom. It was originally introduced by Isbell Seed Co. around 1910.
- United States Department of Agriculture (USDA), PI 633487. NSL 27304. Donated to the USDA in 1963.
- First offered in the Seed Savers 2004 Yearbook by Craig LeHoullier of Raleigh, North Carolina (NC LE C), who got the seeds from the USDA in 2004.
Tatiana Kouchnareva (B.C KO T). Isbell's Golden Colossal - ripe fruit. 2014-09-23.
Tatiana Kouchnareva (B.C KO T). Isbell's Golden Colossal - sliced fruit. 2014-09-07.
Tatiana Kouchnareva (B.C KO T). Isbell's Golden Colossal - sliced fruit. 2014-09-23.
Jeff Fleming (MI FL J). Isbell's Golden Colossal 1, 2006.
|Year||Commercial Vendors||Seed Savers Yearbook (Member listings)||Seeds of Diversity (Member listings)|
|2015||Tatiana's TOMATObase Seeds - new||.||.|
|2014||Victory Seed Company||.||.|
|2013||Victory Seed Company||2|
|2010||Victory Seed Company||2||.|
|2009||Victory Seed Company||2||.|
You can buy Isbell's Golden Colossal seeds at Tatiana's TOMATObase Seed Shop.
By buying our seeds you help us to maintain and improve Tatiana's TOMATObase website, and to preserve many endangered open-pollinated varieties.
The proceeds from seed sales and donations are our only source of funding at this time.
Thank you so much for your support!