|Variety type||open-pollinated, family heirloom|
- Indet., regular leaf. Very large red beefsteaks, so meaty and juicy, with excellent balanced rich flavor. 10-20 oz. So happy we finally got the correct seeds! (15 seeds / packet)
- 1. John Seewald, New Jersey / Bill Minkey of Darien, Wisconsin (WI MI B) (wrong seeds)
- 2. Nancy Kirch of Binghamton, New York (NY KI N) 13 / Carolyn Male of Salem, New York (NY MA C) 07 / Larry Watson, Beaver Falls, Pennsylvania
Year grown: 2012(1), 2015(2)
- A family heirloom, originated in Bellville, Illinois. Larry Watson of Beaver Falls, Pennsylvania received the seed from his aunt Lil when she came out to Pennsylvania for a Christmas visit in about 1985. She was 77 at the time and passed away in 2002. She told Larry that they were her favorite tomato and that she had gotten them in 1949 from Mrs. Smith who lived in Briar Hill, which was just next to Signal Hill where she lived in St. Clair County, Illinois. Mrs. Smith said that her mother had given the seeds to her, and the family had been growing them around Chester, Illinois for many many years.
- First offered in the Seed Savers 2002 Yearbook by Bill Minkey of Darien, Wisconsin (WI MI B), who obtained the seeds from Larry Watson of Beaver Falls, Pennsylvania.
|Year||Commercial Vendors||Seed Savers Yearbook (Member listings)||Seeds of Diversity (Member listings)|
|2016||Tatiana's TOMATObase Seeds - new||.||.|
|2011||Marianna's Heirloom Seeds||1||0|
|2010||Marianna's Heirloom Seeds - new||1||.|
You can buy Lil's Favorite seeds at Tatiana's TOMATObase Seed Shop.
By buying our seeds you help us to maintain and improve Tatiana's TOMATObase website, and to preserve many endangered open-pollinated varieties.
The proceeds from seed sales and donations are our only source of funding at this time.
Thank you so much for your support!