|Fruit color||red, pink|
|Variety type||family heirloom, open-pollinated|
- Indet., regular leaf plants. Despite the name, fruits are smooth and pink (clear skin), 8-14 oz, meaty, with excellent flavor. We grew this variety from seeds received from three different sources, and all produced pink fruits, however, one source produced potato leaf plants. Looks like that the person who named this tomato did not differentiate between pink (clear skin) and red (yellow skin) fruits.
- 1. Heritage Harvest Seed 11
- 2. Peter Gallant, Prince Edward Island, Canada 07 / Gary Millwood, Kentucky (not true to type, PL)
- 3. Neil Gillard of Holland Landing, Ontario, Canada (ONT GI N) 14 / Michael Gunn of Pasadena, Texas (TX GU R) 06
- 4. Blue Ribbon Tomatoes 15
Year grown: 2014, 2015 (3, 4)
- 80-85 days, indet., regular leaf, 8-14 oz, very good to excellent flavor, moderate productivity. Sometimes lumpy irregular shapes and ruffling, hence the name.
- Horace "Big Red" Boynton Jr. of Bethelridge, KY 06, and other various sources throughout the years.
Year grown: 2004, 2006, 2008
Location: Bastrop, Texas
- 80 days, indet., regular leaf, 8-14 oz, very good flavor, productive, a favorite, from Kentucky.
Location: Pasadena, Texas
- Lumpy Red is not really a lumpy tomato, but it is red at least. 8-12 oz mostly round, with a smooth tomato-y flavor ideal for salads. The skin is firmer than most heirlooms, making it a good keeper. This season was hot and dry, yet Lumpy Red just kept coming. 80 days to maturity.
- Gary Millwood, Louisville, Kentucky
Year grown: 2008
Location: Sonora, Kentucky
- A family heirloom from Clay City, Kentucky.
- Austin Isaacs (KY IS A2) received seeds from Brook Elliot, Richmond, Kentucky in 2003, who collected them from an old woman in Corbin, Kentucky. The old lady said that it came from her grandmother in Clay City.
Tatiana Kouchnareva (B.C KO T). Lumpy Red (1) - flowers. 2014-06-08.
Tatiana Kouchnareva (B.C KO T). Lumpy Red (1) - baby fruit. 2014-06-08.
Tatiana Kouchnareva (B.C KO T). Lumpy Red (1) - green fruit. 2014-06-16.
Tatiana Kouchnareva (B.C KO T). Lumpy Red (4) - ripe fruit. 2015-07-30.
Tatiana Kouchnareva (B.C KO T). Lumpy Red (4) - ripe fruit. 2015-10-01.
Tatiana Kouchnareva (B.C KO T). Lumpy Red (4) - sliced fruit. 2015-07-30.
Tatiana Kouchnareva (B.C KO T). Lumpy Red (4) - sliced fruit. 2015-10-01.
Susan Anderson (TX AN S): Lumpy Red. 2008.
|Year||Commercial Vendors||Seed Savers Yearbook (Member listings)||Seeds of Diversity (Member listings)|
|2016||Tatiana's TOMATObase Seeds - new||.||.|
|2013||Heritage Harvest Seed||.||.|
|2011||Heritage Harvest Seed||4||1|
|2010||Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds
Heritage Harvest Seed
|2009||Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds
Blue Ribbon Tomatoes
Heritage Harvest Seed
|2008||Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds||4||.|
You can buy Lumpy Red seeds at Tatiana's TOMATObase Seed Shop.
By buying our seeds you help us to maintain and improve Tatiana's TOMATObase website, and to preserve many endangered open-pollinated varieties.
The proceeds from seed sales and donations are our only source of funding at this time.
Thank you so much for your support!