Pimiento de Padron
|Pimiento de Padron|
|Scoville Heat Units (SHU)||0-1000|
|Variety type||heirloom, open-pollinated|
- Elongated red peppers, 3-5" long and 1.5-1.8" in diameter, thin walls, a bit wrinkled and curved. In the first few fruits the heat was only in seeds and membranes, but the flesh is quite mild and sweet. Fruits get hotter as they mature, and acquire some delicious medium heat. We liked it fresh in a tomato salad, it adds a wonderful dimension of flavor.
- 1. Donald C. Kellums of Port Byron, Illinois (IL KE D) 12 / CV Sementi
- 2. Tomato Growers Supply 14
Year grown: 2013
- Spanish heirloom from Padron, Galicia region in NW Spain, originally from the FrancIscan Monastery of Padron nearby Santiago de Compostela.
- SSE PEPPER 8.
- First offered in the Seed Savers 1992 Yearbook by Maurice H. Anderson of Stacy, Minnesota (MN AN M), who got the seeds from J. Hartley, MA.
- The peculiarity of this type of peppers is that the flavor is usually mild, but some fruits can turn out to be quite hot. For more information see Padrón peppers Wikipedia article.
Also known as
Tatiana Kouchnareva (B.C KO T). Padron No.2 - ripe fruit. 2013-08-18.
Tatiana Kouchnareva (B.C KO T). Padron No.5 - ripe fruit. 2013-08-23.
Tatiana Kouchnareva (B.C KO T). Padron No.1 - ripe fruit. 2013-10-25.
Tatiana Kouchnareva (B.C KO T). Padron No.4 - ripe fruit. 2013-10-25.
Tatiana Kouchnareva (B.C KO T). Padron No.6 - ripe fruit. 2013-10-25.
|Year||Commercial Vendors||Seed Savers Yearbook (Member listings)||Seeds of Diversity (Member listings)|
|2014||Tatiana's TOMATObase Seeds - new
You can buy Pimiento de Padron seeds at Tatiana's TOMATObase Seed Shop.
By buying our seeds you help us to maintain and improve Tatiana's TOMATObase website, and to preserve many endangered open-pollinated varieties.
The proceeds from seed sales and donations are our only source of funding at this time.
Thank you so much for your support!