Porter, Charles Herring Strain
|Porter, Charles Herring Strain|
- Indet., regular leaf plants. Small pink oval fruits, about 1 oz. Very good balanced flavor, with a hint of sweetness, juicy flesh, and firm walls. Keep well on the counter after picking. High yield.
- Reed Baize of Stephenville, Texas 12
Year grown: 2014
- 65-70 Days, Indeterminate, Regular Leaf, small pink salad tomatoes on large, vigorous plants. I have grown these since acquiring seeds from my grandfather, Mr. Charles Herring, a few years ago. The plants are very vigorous and do well in difficult conditions. Growing in EarthBoxes has not hindered productions and plants have been a welcome addition to my garden.
- Yields loads of salad-type fruits that are very "old-fashioned" in flavor. Not affected by heat, it will produce through the hottest summers. A sure thing if you are limited in garden space and looking for assured production.
- An improved strain of Porter, raised by Mr. Charles Herring of Gatesville, Texas from volunteer Porter plants since the 1970-80s. It had been selected and improved by Mr. Herring for 35-40 years.
- Reed Baize of Oklahoma, Charles Herring's grandson, acquired the seeds from his grandfather and shared it with many other gardeners via Tomatoville gardening forum in 2012. Reed says that this tomato has shown good resistance to Septoria, the fruit is larger than Porter but smaller than Porter Improved.
- Introduced commercially by Tatiana's TOMATObase Seeds in 2015.
Reed Baize, Oklahoma (OK BA R2). Porter, Charles Herring Strain - green fruit. 2014.
Tatiana Kouchnareva (B.C KO T). Porter, Charles Herring Strain - ripe fruit. 2014-08-21.
Tatiana Kouchnareva (B.C KO T). Porter, Charles Herring Strain - ripe fruit. 2014-09-14.
Doug McSee. Porter, Charles Herring Strain - ripe fruit. 2013. (posted with owner's permission by OK BA R2)
Tatiana Kouchnareva (B.C KO T). Porter, Charles Herring Strain - sliced fruit. 2014-08-21.
Tatiana Kouchnareva (B.C KO T). Porter, Charles Herring Strain - sliced fruit. 2014-09-14.
OK BA R2 Porter, Charles Herring Strain - sliced fruit. 2012.
|Year||Commercial Vendors||Seed Savers Yearbook (Member listings)||Seeds of Diversity (Member listings)|
|2015||Tatiana's TOMATObase Seeds - new||.||.|
You can buy Porter, Charles Herring Strain seeds at Tatiana's TOMATObase Seed Shop.
By buying our seeds you help us to maintain and improve Tatiana's TOMATObase website, and to preserve many endangered open-pollinated varieties.
The proceeds from seed sales and donations are our only source of funding at this time.
Thank you so much for your support!