- indet. plants with potato leaf foliage produce dark pink beefsteaks with excellent sweet flavor, 8-14 oz, meaty and smooth texture, medium to high yields.
- 1. CV Harvest Moon Seed Company 04
- 2. West Coast Seeds 11
Year grown: 2005 (1), 2009 (1), 2011*(2)
- 85 days, indet., potato leaf plant, 10 oz to 1 lb fruit, good taste.
- Pinetree Seeds
Location: Oblong, Illinois
- 80 days, indet., potato leaf, 12-16+ oz, dark pink soft skin with crimson flesh, excellent flavor, very tender, favorite.
- CV Vegetable Seed Warehouse
Location: Pasadena, Texas
- It produced three large, round, nice, purple tomatoes (that a relative thought was red). Taste was good, but especially good sliced on hamburgers (it's my favorite hamburger tomato). I feel like I could eat a lot of this tomato, and it's the variety I longed to taste the most, until the next season (although I preferred Green Giant for flavor). My plant had a branch with variegated foliage (and one of the fruits had some faint variegation in it, too). The fruits set in very hot temperatures (so, it's heat-tolerant). It was kind of crowded and got a late start (it likely would have been more productive with a change in conditions). The plant was initially quite vigorous, but it didn't end up getting quite large. These were grown in compact clay-type (maybe clay loam) soil. The fruits were somewhat prone to cracking (or maybe it was the skin would split some when picked).
- rareseeds.com (purchased 1 May 2015)
Year grown: 2015
Location: New Plymouth, Idaho
- I grew so many tomato plants in 2016 that I decided to grow a couple of these in the same spot (in the corner of a raised bed, in the shade of trees). I didn't anticipate that this would lead to a large harvest, but I wanted to grow both plants. Anyway, I got a couple small tomatoes with good flavor (I tried it on a hamburger again, and it was still good). I saved seeds from at least one of these tomatoes to grow again in 2017. Neither plant had any variegation.
- From seeds saved from the slightly variegated tomato I mentioned in my 2015 growout.
Year grown: 2016
Location: New Plymouth, Idaho
- An heirloom tomato, which dates to 19th century.
- SSE also lists a variety called Pruden's Purple, True Variety, which may be related to Pruden's Purple. Here is the description of the Pruden's Purple, True Variety in the SSE Yearbook:
- 6'6" indet., potato leaf type, exserted stigma, irregular shape, flat round pink fruit, green shoulders, 4.5" dia. X 2.5" high. Large blossom scar, radial cracking, from ONT PI G, SSE TOMATO 2505.
Also knwon as
Tatiana Kouchnareva (B.C KO T). Pruden's Purple - plant. 2009-06-06.
Tatiana Kouchnareva (B.C KO T). Pruden's Purple - flowers. 2009-06-06.
Tatiana Kouchnareva (B.C KO T). Pruden's Purple - flowers. 2009-06-27.
Tatiana Kouchnareva (B.C KO T). Pruden's Purple - flowers. 2009-07-11.
Tatiana Kouchnareva (B.C KO T). Pruden's Purple - baby fruit. 2009-07-11.
Tatiana Kouchnareva (B.C KO T). Pruden's Purple - green fruit. 2009-07-11.
Susan Anderson (TX AN S): Pruden's Purple. 2006.
Tatiana Kouchnareva (B.C KO T). Pruden's Purple - ripe fruit. 2009-08-18.
Tatiana Kouchnareva (B.C KO T). Pruden's Purple - sliced fruit. 2009-08-18.
Tatiana Kouchnareva (B.C KO T). Pruden's Purple - sliced fruit. 2009-09-04.
Susan Anderson (TX AN S): Pruden's Purple - sliced. 2006. (