From Tatiana's TOMATOBase
Henderson's description from the 1890 Peter Henderson & Co Vegetable Seeds Catalog:
- "THE SHAH. (New Golden Tomato.) "The Shah" is a sport from the celebrated "Mikado", which we introduced four years ago, with which it is identical in every respect, except in color, which is a dark, wary yellow, having the same distinct foliage, the same enormous size, solidity and productiveness. Alternate slices of red and golden tomatoes make one of the most ornamental dishes that can be put upon a table."
- Old commercial tomato variety introduced by Peter Henderson in 1890 (see the page from 1890 Henderson's Seed Catalog as Craig LeHoullier's website). Developed from Mikado.
- This variety is now lost, and no 'true' Shah seeds are available today.
- It is possible that the Shah tomato may be related to the Yellow Brandywine tomato known today.
Also known as
- Brandywine, Yellow
- Shah (Mikado White) Potato Leaf (incorrect "Shah" variety, which is in a circulation today).
|Year||Commercial Vendors||Seed Savers Yearbook (Member listings)||Seeds of Diversity (Member listings)|
|2012||Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds||.||.|