|Fruit shape||irregular, ribbed, beefsteak|
|Variety type||open-pollinated, heirloom|
- (Vita Sementi) Indet., regular leaf plants with high yield of flattened and ruffled red tomatoes of medium size and old-fashioned taste. Good for sauce. These are the seeds offered in our catalog.
- (grown from Territorial Seeds) indet., regular leaf plants with high yields of medium red tomatoes, not as heavily ribbed as advertised, seed from Territorial Seed Company . Very good old-fashioned taste.
- 1. Reimer Seeds
- 2. CV Thompson & Morgan (orig from Vita Sementi) 08
- 3. Tomato Growers Supply 12
- 4. Territorial Seed Company 04
Year grown: 2008 (#1 - crop failure), 2010(1), 2011*(3)
- The indeterminate, regular leaved plants have a whole bunch of ribbed fruits set. The first fruit was harvested 76 days after planting, was about 7 ounces and was thick and had a very small amount of seeds. It looked like a beefsteak, but many of the other fruits look like ribbed paste tomatoes. I think that they are crossed. I'm using different seed next time.
- Reimer Seeds / Seed trade
Year grown: 2011
- Oblate, ribbed, red tomatoes on a medium sized plant. Lots of fruit, but proned to BER. Flavor okay, but tasted better after cooking. Mid-season at 75 days.
- Reimer Seeds / CV Parks Seed, 2008
Year grown: 2010, 2011
Location: LaFollette, Tennessee
- Italian heirloom variety, originated in Riviera region decades ago. Particularly popular in the area of Piedmont, the tomato sauce industry.
- According to Amy Goldman, it was first introduced in North America in 1985 by Le Marche Seeds International and Redwood City Seed Company.
- 'Costoluto' means 'ribbed' in Italian.
Ted Maiden (TN MA T): Costoluto Genovese - green fruit. 2011.
Klaus-Peter Schurz (GERM SC K). Costoluto Genovese - green fruit. 2013-07-31.
Klaus-Peter Schurz (GERM SC K). Costoluto Genovese - ripe fruit. July 2011.
Klaus-Peter Schurz (GERM SC K). Costoluto Genovese - ripe fruit, too smooth to be correct. July 2011.
Klaus-Peter Schurz (GERM SC K). Costoluto Genovese - ripe fruit. August 29, 2011.
Klaus-Peter Schurz (GERM SC K). Costoluto Genovese - ripe fruit. 2013-07-31.
Tatiana kouchnareva (B.C KO T): Costoluto Genovese with Bull's Heart, Kosovo, and Sungold F1. 2005
You can buy Costoluto Genovese seeds at Tatiana's TOMATObase Seed Shop.
By buying our seeds you help us to maintain and improve Tatiana's TOMATObase website, and to preserve many endangered open-pollinated varieties.
The proceeds from seed sales and donations are our only source of funding at this time.
Thank you so much for your support!